Weekend Round-Up

I know, I know.  I said Mondays were supposed to triathlon posts.

It wasn't much of training week, though.  I ran three times, including on Sunday with Sally, but none of it was particularly outstanding.  It snowed Saturday morning, and I still managed to get out and run Saturday afternoon, so I guess that's something.  It was fun, but it wasn't any kind of record or anything.  I ran, I bopped around to my tunes... That's what I do.

We ran together Sunday afternoon.
Sunday's run was better just because I had my beautiful wife along, but we ran really easy and didn't even get out until it was already starting to get dark.  Still, we had fun out there.

Both our kids had sleepovers Saturday night, so we had a little date night.  Wound up going to Two Roads in Stratford to meet some friends, Andrea and Henning.  Poor Henning had been through a pretty rough day, but we did what we could to cheer him up.

At Two Roads Brewery in Stratford, CT.
I'm not sure we were entirely successful.

Regardless, I had fun.  Two Roads' has their Route of All Evil Black IPA in season now, and that's my absolute favorite.  I have this theory that Black IPA is the future of American brewing.  Like everything that catches on in this country, it's too much.  Too stout, too many hops, too full-bodied.  It's truly excellent.

Sally and I got home, made some nachos, and plopped down in front of a movie.  I talked her into watching Lucy, but although the movie was visually interesting, there's not much there.  

I'll save you some time: once Lucy gets her god-like super-powers, she's an invincible juggernaught of destruction.  From there, the whole revenge fantasy plotline loses its suspense.  I'm not sure what the point was, really, except to show how complex ideas can be shown via disconnected visual cues.  If you've read Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art, you will recognize the technique.  If you haven't, but you want to see how stock images can be used as a kind of language communicated via shared visual cues, then Lucy is your movie.  I can't think of another reason someone might enjoy it, though.

Sally and I went to the diner for breakfast Sunday morning.  That was probably my favorite part of the weekend.  Sally had a Grecian omelet.  I had a Western omelet that I drenched in ketchup.  It was beautiful.

That's all I got.  Keep warm this week.  We're supposed to have a blizzard!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs