Saturday, April 19, 2014

Last Night's Swim Workout

After eating, drinking, and basically sitting around all week in Albany, I got in the pool last night to try to burn off some of those calories.  The best thing about swimming is that it's a zero-impact sport, so while overtraining one day might make you sore, it won't actually injure you unless you do something really  stupid.


Warm-Up
 -- 2 x 200 easy (no interval)
 -- 200 dolphin kick

Main Set
 -- 400 @ 5:40
 ---- Rest :30
 -- 2 x 300 @ 4:15
 ---- Rest :30
 -- 3 x 200 @ 2:50
 ---- Rest :30
 -- 4 x 100 @ 1:25

-- 8 x 50 kick @ 1:10
-- 2 x 250 pull (no interval)
-- 5 x 100 swim @ 1:30
--Easy Cool Down

Notes
I was just over 5:00 for that first 400, and then I held right at 1:15/100 up until I'd done the first of the 200s in the main set.  After that, though, this workout was pretty much just a long slog of swimming that reminded me very much of some of the distance workouts we did back in school.  That's not a bad thing, but I wasn't crushing it out there or anything.

My daughter Hannah got in the pool with me towards the end of the kicking set, and that threw the rest of the workout off.  Which was fine because by then I was pretty tired.  But I was trying to coach her and help her get her stroke together a little at the same time I was pulling...  I did all the yards, but it wasn't good, consistent swimming.

The last 5 x 100 freestyle was grunt work.  I probably should've stopped before that, but I'd told myself I was gonna do 4000 yards, and so I wanted to go through with it.  But that was really a brutal stretch of mindless swimming.

That said, I'm not too sore today.  My neck is a little stiff from turning to breath 5000 times, but other than that, I feel okay.  So I guess I didn't overdo it too badly.  And like I said, I badly needed to do something after my week on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment